Thursday 28 November 2013

The Great Outdoors

BEDN Day 28 , the great outdoors so I should channel my inner Bear Grylls!

I'm not really an outdoorsy person so I've wondered what I should write about.  I've decided to think about what the outdoors means to me and how I relate to it.

I'm lucky to live in a lovely part of the country and really should make the time to get out and about more often.  There is a lovely walk down by the river which is beautiful whatever the time of day or year and whatever the weather.  My husband and I used to cycle out to the surrounding villages on a Saturday but we haven't done that for a while either.  I do enjoy being out and about - during the summer we went to Wayland's Smithy on the Ridgeway, a favourite walk of ours and we took a picnic.  It was a lovely sunny day and for a while we had the Smithy to ourselves.  There was a slight breeze, plenty of birdsong and a total absence of the usual noise that accompanies life.  It was perfect. I took my shoes off, stretched out on a blanket and soaked up the peace and quiet.  Absolute bliss.

So next year we must try to do that sort of thing more often, get out into the countryside and enjoy some quality time with nature - and each other of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment