Sunday 4 May 2014

Sci-Fi!!!

#BEDM Day 4 & the topic is Sci-Fi.

Well, what can I say?  Of course it's Star Wars Day & my son rolled his eyes audibly when I wished him a Happy Star Wars Day this morning!  But I was rather concerned about the topic as Sci-Fi isn't a genre I'm all that familiar with.

As an avid reader who always has at least 1 book on the go I suppose I should know more about Sci-Fi.  I read a few John Wyndham novels when I was younger & have a passing knowledge of HG Wells (mostly through watching The Time Machine!).  However I didn't get into it &, if I'm honest, didn't get it either.  It's not that it seems too fantastic most of the time. I don't have a problem suspending my disbelief with other forms of fiction; heck I even enjoyed The Da Vinci Code!  But Sci-Fi - nope, not for me thanks.

I've seen my fair share of Sci-Fi movies, on the other hand. My husband, and then later my son, are  both into Sci-Fi.  To be fair to them, they're into science in general but love a good Sci-Fi movie too.  My son is an encyclopedia of trivial knowledge about Star Trek, all franchises! Now I appreciate a good episode of Next Generation as much as the next mother but there are limits.  Naturally the episodes they like are the tedious ones I loathe but that's par for the course with Sci-Fi - the more Sci it is the less I like it!

Now that's not to say that I don't appreciate a good Sci-Fi movie - I enjoyed Soylent Green & Total Recall -  but given the choice would rather see a film with, oh I don't know, a plot, dialogue & three dimensional characters!  And don't even get me started on 2001 or The Matrix!

So you see, Sci-Fi's not really my topic but I can muster an opinion (generally true about most topics, to be fair!)

No comments:

Post a Comment