Thursday 28 May 2015

BEDM Day 28 - Nostalgia

OK, let's get it out of the way right at the start shall we? 'Nostalgia ain't what it used to be' - I'll get me coat ...

Actually as I've got older I've definitely got more nostalgic.

TV was better in the 70s - The Clangers, The Herbs, Bagpuss, The Goodies, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Hector's House, How, The Pallisers, I could go on and on. Just thinking about The Clangers or Bagpuss makes me go all smushy inside.

Music was definitely better in the 70s - Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Eagles, Glam Rock, David Bowie, Punk Rock, Two Tone and the Ska revival - again I could go on and on ...

I even prefer the fashions from the 70s - cheesecloth tops, flares, stacked heel boots, hippy beads, smock tops, suede bags with fringes, maybe not so much the hotpants and legwarmers though!

To prove that nostalgia is a curious beast I have a soft spot for the 3 day week and the power cuts that we had! I remember trying to do my homework by the light of a paraffin lamp! Great excuse for not doing it in my opinion.

I loved the simplicity of the 1970s - children were kids, not mini adults; you did what you parents told you to (most of the time!); there was no daytime TV; people weren't glued to their phones, tablets or laptops at all times; it was safe fro kids to play outside all day; people were less frightened.

Maybe I am seeing it all through rose tinted glasses but there are many things that I think were better and many things that I think it's a shame that we have lost from former times.

I wonder what people will feel nostalgic for from the opening decades of the 21st century?  

No comments:

Post a Comment