Friday 17 July 2015

Friday Fitness - Day One of Pain with Paige!

So I'm just back from my first session with Paige at David Lloyd, the first of 6 weeks learning about better nutrition and doing a Boxercise based session.

We started by outlining our goals, what we wanted to achieve by the end of the 6 weeks. I decided that I wanted to lose 10kg of weight and to have improved my nutrition. Paige then weighed and measured us, giving us some interesting numbers to think about. I wasn't really shocked at the Body Fat % although it's always rubbish to see it written down. I was shocked at how poor my hydration is - the number for good hydration is 70 and I'm at 35! So that means I'm only half hydrated; could this be why I feel so tired and headachy sometimes? In order to return to full hydration I would need to drink 4 litres of water each day - that's a bucket full! Needless to say Paige advised against that and suggested that I simply(!) improve my hydration slowly, so increase the amount of water and decrease the amount of tea I drink every day.

We then looked at our nutrition and there was some soul bearing there - confession about skipping breakfast, confessions about not eating enough protein (or even knowing what protein is), confessions about putting others first and grazing on junk food. Paige suggested small changes to our diets which we should find achievable and introduced the 40:30:30 meal to us. We should be aiming for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat in our meals. She also pointed out that a portion is about the size of a fist and it's the cooked weight of pasta that makes up the portion (just in case I wanted to cheat on the size)

After what felt like information overload we headed to the outdoor gym space for a Boxercise type workout. As neither of us had done it before we needed to learn the techniques of punching. I'm sorry to say that my thumbs disgraced themselves all through the session by refusing to stay in! We practised punching, moved on to kicking and then had a weights session using kettle bells, ropes and tyres. I was soon totally out of breath and my heart rate was sky high. Paige was encouraging and kept reminding us to take a drink and breathe!

So that's the first step. Now I need to fit in a couple of gym session during the week and resist the temptation to cook a mountain of pasta for tea tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment