Friday 7 August 2015

Word of the Week - Hydration

Hydration is a strange word to choose I know but for the past few weeks I've been focussing on improving my hydration as part of a fitness regime I'm on.

I was horrified 3 weeks ago to discover that I was only 35% hydrated. I thought I drank plenty during the course of the day and never really felt dehydrated. I was told that to get my hydration levels up to healthy levels I'd need to drink 4 litres of water a day! That's about a bucket full...

This past week I've been monitoring my water intake for my trainer and have been making a conscious effort to drink water throughout the day and limit the amount of tea I drink as it can act as a diuretic. So far I've improved my hydration by over 1%  in 3 weeks so things are moving in the right direction.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck! It does seem keeping hydrated is a challenge in itself. I love leaving lemon in water for a bit more variety but have good days and bad days in terms of too much coffee too! Hope you find a balance that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about lemon Debbie, I shall try that out to ring the changes. Fingers crossed that I can stick to it!

      Delete
  2. I am terrible for drinking enough.....
    Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a case of getting into the habit I think Kim. So far so good in my case but some days it is a struggle. Thanks for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  3. It is hard to do, isn't it? I only really drink water all day anyway, yet I still don't manage to drink enough to keep my fully hydrated, apparently - I worry that increasing it will just see me on the loo all day! Best of luck with yours, thanks for sharing with #WotW x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are moments when I think if I drink anymore water I'll drown! But I live in hope that I'll reach a healthy level of hydration and drinking more will have become a habit. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, that's scary to think you were so dehydrated. Still, I think that's probably typical for many people especially in this weather. I drink lots of water but I have no idea what level my hydration levels are!
    Best of luck with the training and the rehydration
    #WoTW
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be so difficult to it but once you change habits I am sure it will get easy for you X

    ReplyDelete