Tuesday 13 October 2015

Read & Write Book Review - Inferno



Now I know some people hate Dan Brown's writing and I don't think he'll be winning the Pulitzer or Booker prizes anytime soon. But some times all you need is something light and fluffy that doesn't tax the grey matter too much. Dan Brown's Inferno is perfect for that type of reading.

By coincidence I had read Dante's Inferno a few months before I read this book and it was nice to feel that I had a little background knowledge as I read. The plot revolves around Dan Brown's hero Robert Langdon and a bio threat to the world - Dan Brown doesn't deal in small scale plots! Robert Langdon and his side kick Sienna Brooks race around Florence solving clues which link to Dante's Inferno and the life of Dante himself. There are the usual confusions and dangers to be overcome and the pace of the novel is typical of Dan Brown's work. He always ends each chapter on a cliffhanger and it's easy to keep reading long after you intended to put it down.

If you are a fan of Dan Brown than Inferno won't disappoint. It is a ripping yarn in the tradition of The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, fast paced and full of twists. You do need to suspend your disbelief for a while but that's not always a bad thing. Great literature is certainly isn't but it is a good example of its genre.

In my opinion it's a good escapist read, pacey and easy to read. The best thing about it for me was the journey around Florence which stirred up memories of my visits to a wonderful city. I would certainly read Dan Brown again as an escapist read; it's not great literature, it won't tax your mind but it's quite fun for all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment