Tuesday 28 February 2017

Writing Retreats


I've recently signed up for a weekend writing retreat later this year and I have to confess that I'm really looking forward to it. Partly because I'll get to meet one of my writing pals, partly because it's a lovely weekend away to relax. But of course the main reason is to do some quality (?) writing and get some support and advice.

I have been on a writing retreat once before, many years ago, and it was wonderful.  The chance to spend time chatting about writing without having to keep an eye on the clock; the opportunity to read the work of other writers; the chance to share my writing in a supportive space; the chance to sit and muse, to write, to daydream with no guilt. These are the things that I am looking forward to.

I think being a writer can be a lonely pursuit. You sit at a desk with a cooling cup of tea and write. No-one can get inside your head and help you. You are alone with your thoughts and imagination. No matter how much you chat to fellow writers or attend writing groups and readings, at some stage it is just you and the page/screen. So the opportunity to spend some time with other writers is a welcome one in my book.

I've always been drawn to the Arvon courses and have heard good things about them. The only downside is that they are rather on the expensive side but I guess for a week away and professional guidance they're not outlandish. However I have yet to be able to justify the expense - maybe when Hollywood takes up an option on my first best seller, eh? So I have high hopes for my weekend away stretching my writing muscles and I'm hoping to come away with some new ideas and directions and some new writing to keep my busy. Who knows, I may even get the first draft of the novel finished/polished!

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to a writer's retreat. Hope you enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt you'll have fun and really appreciate the time away just for you and your writing. And as you say meeting with other writers is very valuable. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete